Mohare and Khopra Trekking
|Departure Date||15th & 30th March 2018*|
[* Note: Please let us know, if you prefer a different date.]
- Helping and living like a local community
- Visit handmade paper production, cheese factory, mushroom farms, yak and cow breeding farms
- Health post using advanced telemedicine
- Spectacular view of Mt. Dhaulagiri and Annapurna
Difficulty Level: Easy to Moderate | Days: 11 | Max. Altitude: 4600m (Khair Lake)
Mohare and Khopra ridge community trek is recently developed trekking destination, launched as an alternative to Ghorepani-Poonhill trekking route in the Western part of Nepal. The trek will lead you to the off the beaten tracks, often remote villages, with the actual experience of homestay hospitality. In the villages along the trail, you will visit handmade paper production facility, cheese factory, mushroom farms, yak and cow cross breeding farm, sacred forests and temples, community nursery and heath post using advanced telemedicine.
The trail was developed under initiation from Dr. Mahabir Pun to bring tourist to his birthplace to promote sustainable development by means of Eco-tourism. The whole concept of this route is based on community investment for the sustainable future. The villages in the regions have invested in the lodges and hotels along the trail such that the revenue from the hotel/lodges goes back to the schools of the villages.
The religious attraction of this trail is the holy Khair Lake, which is located at 4600 meters from the sea level. As the lake is located at higher altitude, the visitors need to have slight experience of higher altitude trekking. However, one can skip the Khair Lake if there is a time limitation, as you do not need to go to the Khair Lake to complete the trail. On top of this, trekkers can enjoy the best sunrise and sunset from both Mohare danda (3300m) and Khopra Ridge.
The region contains world’s largest rhododendron forest. The biological diversity of the Annapurna region is equally rivaled by cultural diversity. The trekking route is located in Annapurna Conservation Area project region, ACAP is rich in biodiversity and is a treasure house for 1,226 species of flowering plants, 102 mammals, 474 birds, 39 reptiles and 22 amphibians.
The people living along the route are mostly Magars, however, ethnic tribes of Gurung, Kami, Damai, Chetri and Brahmins adds rich flavor of cultural diversity. Hence, due to such rich variety, trekkers can enjoy the cultural diversity of the local people. Along the trail, the trekkers will have a chance to stay in the local family run homestay, community lodges, and teahouses to witness the living style of the local people.
Please drop your message below!
Challenges while trekking Mohare and Khopra
- Unkind uphill towards Khopra Ridge
- High altitude at Khaire Lake
- Leeches during monsoon
Itinerary for Mohare Khopra Community Trekking
|Day||Itinerary||Altitude (Meters)||Duration (Approx. Hrs.)|
|1||Drive to Galeswor||900||10|
|2||Trek to Nangi||2300||6|
|3||Community activities at Nangi||2300|
|4||Trek to Mohare||3300||6|
|5||Trek to Swanta||2200||5|
|6||Trek to Dhankharka||3000||4|
|7||Trek to Khopra||3650||3|
|8||Relax day at Khopra (Optional hike to Khair Lake)||4500||6|
|9||Khopra to Paudwar||2100||3|
|10||Trek to Tatopani||1000||3|
|11||Drive to Kathmandu||1300||10|
*Trek price and duration could be changed according to your request. Please drop your message below if you would be needing further amendments.
Please drop your message below!
Expert pre-trip advice and detailed information
All airport transfers
3 nights twin-sharing accommodations in Kathmandu 3-Star or similar on bed-and-breakfast basis
3 Meals a day (Price would be negotiated if you want to pay for your meal on your own.)
Conservation Area fee and TIMS
Nepalese visa fee
Excess baggage charge
Private transportation apart from those in itinerary
Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu due to early/late arrival/departure, or due to early return from the trek
Travel and Rescue insurance
Personal expenses (phone calls, laundry, bar bills, extra porters, bottled/boiled water, shower)
FAQs for Mohare and Khopra Ridge Trekking
- How long is the trek?
- This trek could be done in 11 days, that includes a community activity day at Nangi, and much advised rest day at Khopra.
- How difficult is Mohare and Khopra trek?
- It is categorized as easy to moderate trek which could be strenuous on some uphills. The trek from Swata is a bit of off beaten, meaning, the trails are narrow. The trail from Dhankharka is completely uphill.
- Are there chances of altitude sickness?
- The chance of altitude sickness is less. Khopra is at 3650 meters and with an average fitness level with the steady walk, the statistic is almost null. However, while trekking Khayer lake, one has to be careful since it is at 4500 meters, and with no vegetation.
- From where to start/end Mohare and Khopra trek?
- The trek starts from Galeshwor, a 10 hours drive from Kathmandu. But, the trek could also be done directly from Tatopani-Beni, after the Annapurna Circuit.
- Do they have electricity and facility to charge cell phone and camera batteries?
- Yes, they do.
- Is there phone coverage on this trek?
- Except for the few deep hills, there is coverage in most of the spots. Furthermore, high-speed internet at the Khopra ridge could be enticing, if you have some work to do.
- What are other trekking trails near Mohare and Khopra Ridge?