Mardi Himal Base Camp Trekking
|Departure Date||15th & 30th March 2018*|
[* Note: Please let us know, if you prefer a different date.]
- Stunning view of Machhapuchhre (Fish Tail), Annapurna South, Hiunchuli, Gangapurna, Annapurna I and Mardi Himal.
- It is a gradual uphill. Anyone longing for the peaceful natural environment and amazing views could do this trek.
- This trek can be done anytime of the year. Nature won’t cease to amaze you, no matter when. But, the best time to visit is during March to May and September to November.
Difficulty Level: Moderate | Days: 7 | Max. Altitude: 4,450 meters (Mardi Himal Base Camp).
The Mardi Himal Base Camp Trek opened recently in 2012, is a pristine trail in Annapurna Conservation Area. It used to be a summer pasture for local sheep herders before it gained popularity among trekkers (both foreigners and Nepalese) as a hidden gem of Annapurna Region, as they say. You will get to feel what they meant by that, once you embark on this trip. Gradual increase in altitude (that provides a particular niche for varying flora and fauna) will make you feel comfortable and short duration (7 days) of the trip which will take you up to 4,450 meters from sea level are other qualities of Mardi Himal trek.
During first two days of the trek, you will be walking through nice and old forest comprising mainly of Birch, Oak, Rhododendron, Maple, and Hemlock. Occasional sighting of Snow Capped Mountains through the forest cover as windows is mesmerizing on its own. Once you pass the tree line (Low Camp), you will have an uninterrupted view of mountains. Also, you could see the trail to Annapurna Base Camp ABC), way below on your left along the Modi River, as you are walking all along the ridge of Machhapuchhre; that will give rise to a feeling of awesomeness. It is the same ridge that separates Modi Khola (originates from ABC and MBC) and Mardi Khola (originates from South face of Machhapuchhre and Mardi Himal). There is nothing to compare to the view from the ridge top.
You will return back with content heart and beaming face, only to cherish the moments you spent up there in the Himalayas. This is certainly something to take back home.
Please drop your message below!
Challenges while trekking Mardi Himal Base Camp
- Few Steep uphill during trek from Highcamp to Basecamp
- Leeches on the trail during monsoon
Mardi Himal Trekking Itinerary (Trek Starts from Pokhara)
|Day||Activities||Altitude (meters.)||Duration (hrs.)|
|1||Drive to Kande,
Hike to Pothana.
|2||Trek to Forest Camp.||2500||5|
|3||Trek to Low Camp.||3210||5|
|4||Trek to High Camp.||3580||4|
|5||Trek to Base Camp and return back to High Camp.||4450||8|
|6||Hike down to Sidding||1885||7|
|7||Hike down to Lumre and drive to Pokhara.||827||5|
Please drop your message below!
Expert pre-trip advice and detailed information
Motivated staffs and translators
All airport transfers
Twin-sharing accommodations in Kathmandu/Pokhara (3-Star or similar) on bed-and-breakfast basis
3 meals a day. Total price would be negotiated if you want to pay for your meals on your own.
Nepalese visa fee
Excess baggage charge
Private transportation apart from those in itinerary
Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu or Pokhara due to early/late arrival/departure, or due to early return from the trek
Travel and Rescue insurance
Personal expenses (phone calls, laundry, bar bills, extra porters, bottled/boiled water, shower)
FAQs for Mardi Himal Base Camp (MHBC) Trek
- How long is Mardi Himal Base Camp Trek?
- The duration of the trek depends on where you start and end your trek. If you want to start/end in Pokhara and if you are an average hiker, the recommended days would be 6-7 days. Some FITs (Free Individual Trekkers) finish the whole trek in 4 days.
- How difficult is MHBC trek?
- It is categorized as an average trek which is less strenuous compared to other treks. If you have been to Ghorepani Poon Hill trek, MHBC is only little harder than that. It is mainly gentle uphill, most of the time while going up and downhill while descending.
- Are there chances of altitude sickness?
- Very less. Only a few people who do not take precautions have a slight headache, fatigue, and nausea. Those precautions include drinking enough water/rehydration, maintaining the slow and steady pace, taking small stops/rest in between, avoiding smoking and alcoholic beverages and avoid climbing more than 1,000 m. at above 2,500 masl.
- From where to start/end Mardi Himal Trek?
- First, you have to fly/drive to Pokhara from Kathmandu. Then, drive to Phedi and start hiking, else one can go to Kande and start hiking via Australian Camp. While returning, you can either return the same trail or return via Siding. Siding can be reached from Low Camp as well as Forest Camp. One can take the vehicle from Sidding to Pokhara which lasts for about 3 hours.
- Do they have electricity and facility to charge cell phone and camera batteries?
- At the moment, only few Tea houses have a small bulb for lighting the rooms. As for charging cell phones and camera batteries, one has to pay from 100 to 200 NPR for the full charge.
- Is there phone coverage on this trek?
- Yes, there is phone coverage all along the trail except at some points when you are in deep forest cover.
- What are other trekking trails near Mardi Base Camp trek?